Protecting our Planet: Acucote’s Commitment to Sustainability
Acucote understands our corporate environmental responsibility. From the way we work to the products we offer, we’re committed to being stewards of the environment. We are actively launching and seeking raw material alternatives to build more sustainable product lines. We have joined environmental and regulatory committees to ensure we are up-to-date with our customers’ needs. Internally, we have teams dedicated to ongoing projects designed to reduce Acucote’s environmental footprint.
Our Plant and our People: Incorporating Sustainability Throughout our Organization
- Our Sustainability Statement is effectively communicated to all employees and visitors (including suppliers and customers). (See above)
- We have a formal Sustainability Committee that meets bi-weekly to discuss trends and explore new initiatives. This committee identifies sustainable solutions for customers specific to their application and researches sustainable raw materials to offer Acucote customers.
- We recycle bottles, cans and paper within the facility.
- We divert approximately 1,000,000 pounds of scrap material to non-landfill channels.
- We replaced all lighting fixtures with LED lighting leading to a 67 percent reduction in energy consumption in the 80,000 square foot facility in North Carolina and 12,000 square foot facility in Texas.
- We installed automatic time delay/motion sensors in our North Carolina office space and warehouse to reduce electric usage.
- We reduce fossil fuel consumption and use process reclaim energy to heat our facility.
- When outside temperatures allow, we utilize wall fans to cool the building vs using A/C.
- Our roofs have a reflective coating that reduces heat transference and minimizes the use of energy to cool the facility.
- We have eliminated all liquid process waste from being disposed of in sanitary sewer.
- We periodically perform air quality testing within the facility to ensure that any potentially hazardous contaminants are below allowable thresholds. Air pollution for this facility is de minimus. This facility is not required to maintain an air permit.
- We promote FSCⓇ membership and provide localized information to educated customers on how they can become FSCⓇ certified.
- We participate in the TLMI Environmental and Governmental and Regulatory Committees in order to develop options that help our industry and our customers find solutions to sustainability challenges.
- We routinely educate our workforce and our customer base on the many facets of sustainability. In turn, Acucote representatives educate printers and converters on sustainability as part of our stewardship.
- We provide educational seminars to our customers and member associations.
- We’ve created a proactive safety culture that is integrated into each aspect of our operational success with weekly safety educational programs and regular safety audits.
Our Products: Incorporating Sustainability into our Product Portfolio
We work with suppliers from across the globe to source raw material alternatives that are sustainable. Currently, we offer the following products that contribute to our goals of reducing, recycling, reusing and renewing:
- Only use water-based emulsion adhesives and 100% solids silicone formulations.
- Lower gauge paper and film raw material options for sending less waste into the landfill.
- FSCⓇ Certified paper facestock and liner options. Acucote is an FSCⓇ certified company and we purchase and sell FSC certified material whenever possible.
- Compostable paper and film facestocks and adhesives (adhesives are compostable when combined with certain facestocks, inks and packaging).
- Biodegradable adhesives and facestocks.
- Products with recycled content.
- Wash-off adhesive.
- Water-dissolvable adhesive and facestocks.
- Repulpable adhesives for paper facestocks.
- Environmentally benign adhesive for paper facestocks.
While not currently in the market, we are putting research and development into these products and
hope to launch them by the end of Q3 2021:
- Additional recycled content facestocks.
- Additional FSCⓇ Certified paper facestock and liner options.
Our Goals: Measurements and Time Frames to Support our Acucote Sustainability Commitment
Each year, we will select a Continuous Improvement Project (CIP) dedicated to furthering our progress in the sustainable movement. Our team is currently working with a recycling firm to identify areas of opportunity for sending less waste to the landfill.
Be sure to check back here – details will be updated soon.